The exercise for the Capacity Building Roadmap was started with making an assessment of the "As Is" status. Based on the existing and future IT initiatives, a "To Be" scenario was prepared. The capacity needs and the training needs were arrived at after taking into consideration the e-Governance Roadmap, the institutional structure in the State and the gap between the "As Is" and "To Be" status.The following figure represents the 4 stages in preparation of CBRM.
Where Are We: "As-Is" Study: The Approach for "As-Is" Study was:
Assessment of capacities available in areas of Project Management, Change Management, Financial Management and Technology Management in departments taken up for study in the State
- Analysis of Strengths and Weaknesses of the existing Capacity Building Institutions (institutional structure) mandated to plan and implement e-Governance Initiatives.
- Evaluation of training initiatives of the Capacity Building Institutions in the State, their course content, coverage and reach
- Assessment of the capacity of the nominated State Nodal Agency
Where do we want to reach-"To-Be study": The Methodology used for the "To-Be" study was:
- Knowing the future ICT initiatives of the State and of individual departments and assessment of capacities that would be required in a five year perspective for implementing the future Projects in the pipeline. E-governance Roadmap was studied in detail.
- Finalizing the nature, extent of Capacity and talent pool that needs to be developed in house and also through external participation in line with the State e-Government roadmap.
How do we reach: The Gap assessment
The Gap assessment included detailed discussion with officials of respective State Government, which included:
- Finalization of the Capacity Building Framework of the State at the Apex Level, Program Level and Project level.
- Strategies for strengthening the training Institutions and level of competencies and for leveraging their infrastructure for the Capacity Building Exercise.
- Preparation of comprehensive State Government Strategy and plan for composition of SeMT & PeMT Detailed strategy on how the designated agency would undertake capacity building, following the option of judicious mix of options, and develop an overall training strategy.
The assignment of building the Capacity Building Roadmap for each State was completed in approx. 2-3 months time. NISG took assistance of its empanelled consulting firms in designing the Roadmap.NISG assisted the following State Governments through the involvement of its empanelled consultant firms in the preparation of CBRM. Few of the States which took NISG's assistance in formulating the CBRM are given below:
NISG urges Central Government Ministries to undertake such assignment aimed at planning the capacity building initiatives in the respective department in a structured way.
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh