e-Office - Mission Mode Project under NeGP
Title : e-Office - Mission Mode Project under NeGP
e-Office is one of the Mission Mode Projects (MMP), which is aimed at significantly improving the operational efficiency of Central Government Ministries and Departments through improvement in the workflow mechanisms. e-Office, as an e-Governance initiative, would be crucial in shaping Government Process Re-engineering (GPR), which eventually enhances the quality of services delivered to the citizens. The Department of Administrative Reform and Public Grievances (DARPG) is the nodal agency for implementing the project.
Client Name : Department of Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances (DAR&PG), Government of India
Client Type : Central Government
Start Date : 10th October, 2008
Any Government office is a hub of a variety of communications which require to be processed and thereafter communicated in some form. Inputs and outputs of all government activity need to be invariably communicated within and outside the office. The efficiency of an office is significantly determined by the efficiency of its systems of communication and internal processing.
Functioning of Government offices in India is hampered due to various design and environmental issues. Some of these are:
- Bureaucratic procedures that add to delays
- Lack of accountability & responsibility
- Prioritization of work
- Measurement of productivity
- Monitoring systems
- Workflows not streamlined
- Duplicative & unproductive efforts
Government offices are most amenable to workflow automation since all operations are governed by high levels of process definition and the presence of high stakeholder commitment to follow set rules.
In India, several experiments have been conducted in the e-Office space with varying degrees of success achieved. Some of the better known projects are SmartGov in the AP Secretariat and iWDMS in the Gujarat Secretariat.
Enormous savings are possible through a smart intervention into the functioning of government offices. Governments in India spend an estimated Rs.3,00,000 Cr on staff annually. Even a 10% increase in productivity, through a smart intervention could give the nation a benefit of Rs. 30,000 Cr annually.
The need for efficiency in government processes and service delivery mechanism is a long-felt one. This need has reverberated in citizen feedback on the services offered by the Government agencies for a long time now. The e-Office MMP is being designed to serve as the means to achieve the following objectives:
- To improve efficiency, consistency and effectiveness of government responses
- To reduce turnaround time and to meet the demands of the citizens charter
- To provide for effective resource management to improve the quality of administration
- To enhance transparency and accountability
Stakeholders for the project
The project will impact the following:
- The Government of India's Ministries, Departments in the long run, participating agencies immediately, including the DAR&PG, DIT, MoRD and CIC
- Employees of Govt. of India, Citizens & Business
Services provided by the project
The most critical pre-requisite for the success of e-Office would be an exercise to simplify the government processes and procedures, which includes, streamlining decision making, level jumping, standardization and automation of repetitive processes, eliminating unproductive / non-value-add work and reducing paperwork.
The outcomes expected from Process Reforms through e-Office are as follows:
- Workflow automation including Standardization & automation of repetitive processes / work flows
- Knowledge Management, including creation of institutional memories
- Record Management
Efficient Communications Management
- Registration & routing of communications digitally
- Quality Assurance
- Dashboard view
- Performance Management
- File tracking
- Accountability, including audit trails
- Responsiveness to citizens, with certainty of response
- Horizontal - within the same office & with other departments
- Vertical - with superior & subordinate offices
- RTI compliance
- Decisions accessible to public at different levels
- Stakeholders can know status of their cases
The overall Impact of this initiative of the Government of India is expected to be on the following lines:
- Provide government functionaries with knowledge, information and communication tools to perform their daily operations and support in the various stages of the complex, knowledge-intensive tasks which they perform
- Establish a system of efficient document management to facilitate information retrieval
- Provide efficient support for handling of incoming correspondence / mails and management of meetings
- Result in better staff / officer morale due to working in fully automated environment
- Introduce a new aspect of operational performance measurement
Implementation model is under design and discussion.
Current StatusThe project is presently under design stage and the deliverables of AS IS, Best Practices, Technology Standards for e-Office MMP, Technology Architecture, Functional Requirements, Change Management report are completed. The Detailed Project Report and Request for Proposal are under progress.
The project is presently under design stage and the deliverables of AS IS, Best Practices, Technology Standards for eOffice MMP, Technology Architecture, Functional Requirements, Change Management report are completed. The Detailed Project Report and Request for Proposal are under progress.
Published On : 11th July, 2013