Health Management Information System (HMIS)
Title : Health Management Information System (HMIS)
The project envisages designing & developing ICT enabled Health Management Information System (HMIS) which can help transforming data into information and evidence and thereby enable better decision making to improve accountability and effectiveness at all levels of the health system.
Client Name : Department of Health, Medical & Family welfare (DoHM&FW), Government of Andhra Pradesh
Client Type : State Government
Start Date : 27th August, 2008
End Date : 17th June, 2009
Department of Health, Medical & Family Welfare, Government of Andhra Pradesh (DoHM&FW, GoAP) intends to deploy IT enabled robust Health Management Information System to provide decision support (Operating, Managerial & Strategic), enhance evidence based policy making and undertake effective monitoring leading to improve accountability and effectiveness at all levels of the health system. Accordingly, DoHM&FW, GoAP has engaged NISG as primary consultant to support them in design & development of appropriate IT enabled Health Management Information system.
The Government of Andhra Pradesh is seeking to improve the health status of people in the state, especially the poor and accelerate Andhra Pradesh progress towards achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
The Department for International Development (DFID) is providing a budgetary support of Rs. 320 crore (40 million pounds) to the State government over a period of 3 years (2007-2010) for implementing reforms in the health sector (Source: DoHM&FW).
This support will build synergy with the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) which is a health sector reform programme of the centralgovernment whose goal is to improve the availability and access to quality health care by people, especially for those residing in rural areas, the poor, women and children. It may not be out of place to mention here that this mission (2005-2012) is an articulation of the commitment of Government of India to raise public spending on health from 0.9 % of GDP to 2-3 % of GDP over the next five years (Source:NRHM).
As a part of reforms, Andhra Pradesh Government has allocated significant amount in the state health budget also. The state budget allocation during the current financial year is Rs.13.15 billion, up by 73 percent over the last financial year.
With the stepping up of the public health investment, the Central Governments contribution would rise to 25 percent from the existing 15 percent by 2010 (source: National Health Policy 2002). With public health spending set to rise in the coming years and the new initiatives as a result of reforms, the Department of Health, Medical & Family Welfare, Government of Andhra Pradesh (DoHM &FW, GoAP) is likely to face many more challenges.
In order to meet these challenges, it calls for robust Health Management Information System.
To improve health service delivery using ICT for seamless flow of information across entities, effective planning, better synchronization, real-time monitoring and optimal utilization of resources.
- To design and implement Health Information applications that result in significant improvement in efficiency & effectiveness in delivering Health care Services.
- To adopt technology which result in significant improvement in the administrative efficiency of the Health Directorates/Institutions.
- To introduce systems that simplifies/optimizes reporting processes across all the services/functions under health system and improves their effectiveness.
- To establish interfaces among key directorates/sub departments for sharing data/information.
Stakeholders for the project
- Directorate of Health Services (DHS)
- Directorate of Medical Education (DME)
- Andhra Pradesh Vaidya Vidhana Parishad (APVVP)
- Commissionerate of Family Welfare (CFW)
- Andhra Pradesh Health Medical and Housing Infrastructure Corporation (APHMHIDC)
- Drug Control Administration(DCA)
- Andhra Pradesh State Aids Control Society (APSACS
- Institute of Preventive Medicine (IPM)
- Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, Homeopathy (AYUSH)
- Aarogyasri Health Care Trust
- Donor Agencies
Services provided by the project
The project envisages providing management related information in the following components:
- Financial Management- Item wise budget planning and expenditure tracking with a provision of approvals/workflow.
- HR Management- Information on sanctioned strength, staff in position and vacancies, personal details of staff, promotions, transfers, deputations, trainings and pay related details of different categories of permanent & contractual staff.
- Programme/Scheme Management- budgeting, expenditure and monitoring of progress of both state & centrally sponsored health schemes/programmes in operation- like Reproductive & Child health (RCH), AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis, Leprosy etc.
- Performance Management of Health Institutions (HI) - Information pertaining to performances of different health delivery institutions (like PHC, Hospitals) based on Key Performance indicators (eg: service delivery indicators).
- Project Monitoring- Information pertaining to progress of project pertaining to construction/upgradation of hospital buildings/facilities.
- Inventory & Supply Chain Management- Ordering, procurement, storage, distribution and consumption with a provision of indent & approvals/workflow for items (like drugs and equipment) centrally purchased by APHMHIDC.
- Asset management- Information pertaining to fixed assets like equipment, buildings, vehicles etc.
- Disease Surveillance- Information on disease outbreaks, trends of prevalence, disease pattern etc.
- Vital Registrations- Information pertaining to birth &death registrations
- Vital Health Statistics- pertains to the statistics of disease patterns, population health indicators (eg: Infant Mortality, Maternal Mortality, Morbidity etc)
- Patient care services: includes admission, discharge & transfer in/from the hospital
The project is in the design & development stage.
Published On : 11th July, 2013